Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A deeper pursuit

So when we want to excel still more, when we desire to seek hard after God, what is our role? Where do our efforts come into the scheme of things? How do we surrender our desire to know God more intimately and let Him draw us in?

Where does discipline and focus, and self denial, sacrifice, etc... come into play?

How do we let go of our relationship with God and trust that He really means it when He says no one can snatch us out of His hand? How do we seek a loving God who is constantly loving us?
How does abiding in the grace freely given to us interact with the call to obedience and James' call to do? Ours is not simply a faith of good intentions, but one where faith leads to a freedom to choose to love God, leads us to action, leads us to pursue those good works prepared in advance for us to do (Eph 2:10), right?

Can we even assume we know the path to pursue after God, The God, the I AM? Are we idolizing ourselves when we place ourselves in a position of power in this relationship? Is our power simply how far we will let God come after us? How intimately will we allow God to reveal Himself to us?

Must we simply live in complete surrender and yet live every day surrendering even our efforts to know, love, and worship God? What the heck does it mean to live in complete surrender? What does laying everything at the foot of the cross look like?

How many sentences can I write without making a declarative statement?

Those are just some of my questions rambling around as I contemplate my relationship with God and how my desire for Him, my choices, my actions, my heart, my sin, His grace, His mercy, and His love each play a role. What takes the lead, who drives this relationship? How do I fall deeply in love with God and chase after Him, while letting Him do work in my heart and in my life?

I'm glad God loves me, and has a wonderful plan for my life. What's my role in accomplishing it? How do I be the man that God is shaping me into?

Can I ask anymore questions that come close to getting to the point but don't quite capture the heart level idea?

I'm really glad the Holy Spirit groans on our behalf with groans too deep for words. Sometimes I like to groan before God. Today is not a groan day though. Today is a good day.

2 comments:

Cabe said...

Can you answer any of those questions?

Anonymous said...

Not yet.